Wednesday, March 9, 2011

arepas with cheese, please.

One of the best parts about traveling is the food. When I went to Beijing last summer, all I remember was the Great Wall, smog, rainy days, and the flavorful food. I still can taste a bit of the sweet and crispy Peking duck with the crisp cucumbers and soft white crepes/tortillas. The smell of fried cubes of river fish with dashes of curry powder and black pepper still linger in my nose. And how can I ever forget the pork and crab soup dumplings at Din Tai Fung? The flavor of the hot, distinctively salty dumplings filled with broth and meaty goodness will never be forgotten. Of course, I've just touched the tip of the iceberg. I've only been to the expensive restaurants in the Gallerias and such- too cowardly to venture into the depths of Beijing cuisine. Regardless, the food was remarkable and it is one of my best food memories yet.

So these are my recreations of my food memories. Whether it be food from Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Las Vegas, or good ol' Manhattan, I'm writing about my favorite foods. Plus, I'm cooking some up. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

I'm in the mood for arepas and queso blanco. Yum, yum. Too bad it's 12:21 AM over here in the suburbs. I'd love a warm slightly corn treat with stretchy, salty cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment