Sunday, March 13, 2011

crispy oatmeal cookies.

DSC06533
I love the feeling when you pull of batch of cookies out and they are successful. That feeling of relief washes over me like a wave. And the smell. That glorious smell fills the air.

One of my successes was with these oatmeal cookies. I made them for Christmas presents. I searched for good cookies far and wide. Finally, I came across some drool worthy pictures by smittenkitchen. I was smitten with that website since last year after Jenny Han blogged about them. My mother and I collaborated on this project. I added, drizzled, and gathered the ingredients. The beating of the eggs and sugar with my mom's favorite hand mixer was a fail for me. I still have to find a way to beat them with a hand mixer without making a mess.

DSC06536

I added my own twist to it. I prefer dark chocolate over white but never any in my oatmeal cookies. (A light drizzle is fine.) I usually add some raisins but we were out of stock. I just simply omitted the white chocolate and dialed down the sugar like always. Enjoy!

DSC06546

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your baking sheet.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients, except oats, in a small-medium bowl. (flour, powder, soda, salt)
3. Beat the sugar and butter with a hand or stand mixer. Add egg and vanilla. Make sure to stop and scrape down the sides to incorporate everything.
4. Slowly add the the flour mixture. Then the oats.
5. Divide the cookie dough in your portions. Smitten uses 24 portions, which is 2 tablespoons. Roll into a ball and press down slightly. Make sure that they are 2 1/2 inches apart because they will spread out.
6. Bake for around 13 - 16 minutes or until a "deep golden brown".

Additions:
6 ounces of chopped good quality chocolate
Add with the oats during Step 4.

4-6 ounces of white/milk/dark chocolate.
Microwave for 15-20 seconds. Stir. And repeat in 10 second intervals. It might burn and turn into a brownie like substance! Drizzle after the cookies cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment